Become A Rattler
4 Steps to Becoming A Rattler
Apply online or download an application from: www.famu.edu/admissions
- Online application fee is $35 and paper application fee is $30.
- First-Time-In-College Applicants must submit an official high school transcript for evaluation;
- Submit official SAT or ACT scores directly from the testing agency;
- Submit two letters of recommendation from teachers and/or counselors; and
- Submit admission essay titled "What qualities or unique characteristics do you possess that would allow you to contribute to the university community?”
NOTE: AP and IB scores are to be sent directly from the testing agency. Dual-enrollment transcripts are to be sent directly from each college and/or university. Upon applying, applicants will be directed to the user Authentication Center page at www.famu.edu/uac to establish a user name and password. A GED certificate is required along with the high school transcript for students who did not graduate from high school. Students who receive Certificates of Completion will not qualify for admission.
You will receive an Admissions Acceptance Packet and Checklist that includes information concerning the following areas:
Student Health Services
Complete your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) as early as possible(www.fafsa.gov). The financial aid process begins January 1 of every year. All students should complete the FAFSA by March 1, the priority filing date for the fall and spring semesters. List the Florida A&M University federal code, 001480, to ensure the application data is sent to FAMU. The U.S. Department of Education will send you an email message containing a link to your Student Aid Report (SAR). Please review your SAR for accuracy. The Office of Financial Aid will use the data on the SAR to determine your eligibility for financial aid.
- The Office of Financial Aid sends award letters electronically to your iRattler account. Please make sure you keep your iRattler password current.
- In some cases, you will be selected for a process called verification. As instructed by the U.S. Department of Education, FAMU will verify or confirm the data on your FAFSA. You will be required to provide additional documentation in support of the information you reported on your FAFSA. You will be asked to supply a copy of your (and your parent's if you are a dependent student; your spouse's if you are married) federal income tax returns or statement certifying non-tax filer status. You will also be asked to complete an independent or dependent verification worksheet. It is important that you respond promptly.
- The scholarship process at FAMU begins with your admission application. For more information, use search engines such as www.fastweb.com and other resources for scholarship opportunities.
- For more information about financial aid, work study, loans, grants, or scholarships log on to www.famu.edu/FinancialAid.
- Download the housing application form at www.famu.edu/Housing
- Submit the form and a $350 advance payment in the form of a check or money order by mail or in person to the Office of University Housing, Florida A&M University, 1596 Gibbs Hall Trail, Tallahassee, Florida 32307. You must be admitted to the University to receive a housing assignment.
- Once a decision is made, you will be notified by mail or email.
- Once you have completed these steps, you will have an opportunity to truly “Discover What You Can Become” at Florida A&M University!