A student who has attended any regionally accredited college or university and has earned 12 or more semester hours is considered a transfer student when applying to enter Florida A&M University. Transfer students admitted to FAMU are required to have official copies of their transcripts from previous institutions on file in the Admissions Office prior to evaluation. Credits are transferred based on the following:
The institution from which the student wish to transfer is regionally accredited.
The overall grade point average is 2.00 or better on the transfer transcript.
The grades of individual courses to be transferred are “C” or better, or “S” or “P”.
Transfer students academic records will be evaluated prior to the student’s arrival on the University Campus, if admitted prior to three weeks of the term beginning.
Florida A&M University students who are permitted to attend other institutions for a term should obtain a transient form from their academic area and secure appropriate signatures prior to leaving FAMU. Students who attend other institutions without permission from their academic area, may not have their credits accepted. Transient forms are approved based on the following:
- The institution the student wishes to attend is regionally accredited
- Student is in good standing at FAMU (G.P.A. 2.00 or better; not administratively suspended)
Transient application is turned in prior to term for which the student is applying.
Correspondence course work may be accepted if the credits appear on the transcript of a regionally accredited institution and the earned grade is “C” or better. The State University System of Florida offers courses by correspondence through the division of Continuing Education of the University of Florida.
Florida A&M University encourages students to take advantage of opportunities to reduce the usual length of time it takes to complete a degree program. These opportunities include the following:
- Dual Enrollment This program allows high school students to earn college level credits in a college or university.
- Credit by Examination Students who are enrolled or planning to enroll at FAMU may earn credit for certain introductory courses through the following credit by examination programs:
- Advanced Placement Program (AP)
- College Level Examination Program (CLEP)
- International Baccalaureate Program (IB)
- Department Examinations and Dean Waivers
- Military Service School
For more information, please click here: